{Be Still}

Last night in one of my religious classes called Institute, we were talking about why trials happen to such good people. It is difficult to watch people you love in the midst of such difficult things, or even go through them yourself. A few people in the class shared some thoughts and feelings. One of them talked about their sister who is going through a really difficult divorce. 
To be honest, I don't know really know why certain things happen, but a thought struck me as I sat in that wooden desk. Her Savior loves her, and He will help her through it. And whenever sorrow or tragedy comes in my life: I know my Savior loves me and He will help me through it. Whatever you might be enduring now, whatever you'll be called upon to endure, know the same: your Savior Jesus Christ loves you, and He will help you through it. I am so grateful that Christ endured the agony and sorrow of my own life to bless, strengthen, and comfort me through those experiences. I testify He will do that for you; in fact, He already has. 
So if you are seeking help, if you feel weak or weighed down, Pray! Pray like you've never prayed before with all the fervor and energy of your heart. Tell Him how you feel. Ask for the help you need in complete honesty. Heavenly Father will hear you. He will answer you. That answer might come as He removes that burden, or it might come as He and His Son strengthen you through it. "Sometimes he calms the storm, and sometimes He calms the Savior." Either way it will be what you need. Then keep the commandments. Do your best to live your life in harmony with the standards of God. This will help you to avoid some of the trials of life that come because of poor choices. As you do these things, you will feel the love of the Savior and you will find peace, even if the life surrounding you is in chaos. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, a apostle, taught, "Be assured that there is a safe harbor. You can find peace amidst the storms that threaten you. Your Heavenly Father-who knows when even a sparrow falls-knows of your heartache and suffering. He loves you and wants whats best for you. Never doubt this." (Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Finding a Safe Harbor")
Another thought that struck me last night during that discussion was one of the times in my life that I felt so discouraged I wasn't sure what to do. It was near the beginning of my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the missionaries you see with black name tags). We were doing our absolute best to teach people about Christ and His gospel, but it seemed like no one was listening. I had a really powerful personal experience, where God taught me something important I needed to know, and then I found this scripture, now one of my favorites: "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God." (Doctrine and Covenants 101:16) I cried as I read because I knew then as I know now that Heavenly Father is in charge. And, if it's not all right yet, it's not the end. But He will make it so if we are faithful. Another verse I love reads, "But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest, and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last day." (Alma 26:7)
Please know, whether things are going well in your life, or whether it's falling apart, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you. They know your name. They know your heart, your good desires. They know of your suffering. And as Christ promised, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14:18) Keep holding on and you will see purpose and beauty come from the sorrow, because that's what He does for us.
In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

{CTR Always, ETTE}

No comments